This syllabus is designed to guide students and teachers in the teaching and learning of the English language in a more interactive and engaging way.
In this WAEC English Language Syllabus 2023/2024, you will find detailed information about the topics that will be covered in the WAEC English Language exam. You will also find information about the format of the exam, the skills that will be tested, and the marking scheme used by the examiners.
To ensure that you are fully prepared for the exam, we encourage you to read this syllabus carefully and familiarize yourself with the topics that will be covered. You can also download a PDF version of the syllabus for offline reading and reference.
In addition to studying the syllabus, we also recommend that you practice your English language skills regularly. You can do this by reading English books, newspapers, and magazines, watching English movies and TV shows, and engaging in conversations with native English speakers.
Remember, the key to success in the WAEC English Language exam is consistent practice and preparation. With the help of this syllabus, and your dedication and hard work, you can achieve your academic goals and excel in the English language.
So, let’s get started! Explore this syllabus, and we wish you the best of luck in your studies.
WAEC English Language Syllabus 2023/2024
NOTE: The purpose of this examination is to evaluate the fundamental skills of English communication through speech and writing. The exam will assess candidates’ ability to both comprehend and produce language, demonstrated through various means such as reading, comprehension, summarization, vocabulary, structure, and recognition of different aspects of spoken English, including listening comprehension.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The syllabus objective is to evaluate the degree to which candidates have achieved the goals of the teaching syllabuses of member countries during their secondary school education.
- Develop students’ language skills, including their ability to read, write, speak, and listen effectively in English.
- Enhance students’ understanding and appreciation of the English language and its use in various contexts.
- Prepare students for effective communication in English in both academic and non-academic settings.
- Equip students with the skills and knowledge needed to analyze and interpret literary texts written in English.
- Foster critical thinking skills in students through the analysis of different forms of writing, such as persuasive, argumentative, and expository texts.
- Enhance student’s ability to use English in real-life situations, such as expressing opinions, giving presentations, and participating in debates.
- Provide opportunities for students to develop their creativity and imagination through writing and other forms of expression in English.
The WAEC English syllabus aims to develop student’s language skills and help them become effective communicators and critical thinkers in the English language.
- CHECK OUT:
- WAEC Syllabus for All Subjects 2023/2024 | SSCE & GCE PDF DOWNLOAD
- Arithmetic Progression – Nth Term, AP Formula, Sum of AP & Example
Firstly, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the exam format and structure of the WAEC English Language Syllabus 2023/2024. This will help you understand what is expected of you and how to approach each section of the exam.
Secondly, develop a reading culture by reading widely across various genres such as novels, newspapers, and magazines. This will help you improve your comprehension, vocabulary, and critical thinking skills, which are essential for success in English Language exams.
Thirdly, practice writing regularly and seek feedback from your teachers or peers. This will help you identify areas where you need to improve and how to improve them.
Fourthly, pay attention to grammar rules, spelling, and punctuation. These are important elements of English Language exams, and mastery of them can significantly improve your scores.
Lastly, manage your time effectively during the exam by allocating enough time to each section and checking your work before submitting.